Saturday, June 6, 2009

Slacking..but heres an update..

I have been slacking on the blog, mostly because I have been sick and busy with school. Today would have been a great day to head to the ballpark, however it is too late at this point to make the journey down to the Bronx. Some things to note around the leagues:
  • Yankees game rained out yesterday, however there was an interesting article in the post today about the camaraderie in the clubhouse. This article discusses an incident involving Brian Bruney and cinnamon powder. Derek Jeter, A.J. Burnett, Jorge Posada, CC Sabathia were among those who gathered to watch Brian Bruney attempt to swallow a tablespoon of cinnamon powder. As Bruney struggled, players howled."It's impossible," Bruney said through a raspy voice that he said had more to do with a cold than the powder. It isn't something I have ever thought to try and I don't plan on it based on the comments that were made by Sabathia.
  • Great game by the Jays yesterday as they were able to figure out Greinke by tagging him with 5ER in 5 innings. That is the most runs that he has given up this year and his ERA has risen from 1.10 to 1.55. In addition, Adam Lind has been hot as he recently had 7 consecutive hits, coming close to the record of 12 which is held by Walt Dropo and Pinky Higgins.
  • Bad day for Alex Rios has he reached the unfortunate feat of a platinum sombrero (striking out 5 times in a game). The bad outing transformed into a poor attitude towards the fans of Toronto after a charity event.
  • Randy Johnson won his 300th game. This is an incredible feat and is something that you aren't going to see happen too many more times. I met Randy in Tampa once and he was really nice, which was shocking to me considering all of the negative stories I had read about him. I am sure if I saw him on a consistent basis I would have more negative tales to tell.
  • The Kansas City Royals are on a skid, having lost 8 straight games. The Dodgers on the other hand have been extremely hot this year, having the best record in all of baseball (38-19). They are 21-7 at home which is phenomenal. Major props to Joe Torre.
I have been going through some old pictures on my computer. Can anyone guess who this former Yankee is?

8 comments:

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

Latroy Hawkins? (I'm more than 100% sure I'm wrong.)

Al Leiter's Bullpen Catcher said...

Not Latroy. This guy was here a few years before Hawkins.

The Commish! said...

Tom Gordon!

Kyle said...

Someone beat me to it, but it's Gordon. Good post.

Tough loss for the Yankees today. I thought we lost it when Coke came in. Rivera wasn't good but I trust him with 2 outs more than anyone else in the pen. I'd take our chances that we can score at least 2 in the 9th.

It's good to see that the teammates get along.

Bruno Von Rottweiler said...

Phil Choke? Tampa 's demise was greatly overhyped. Bad sign for the Yanks that Tampa has beat them at home everytime so far as well as Boston. This is something the Yankee brass must be worried about......

Al Leiter's Bullpen Catcher said...

Correct! It is Gordon

As for Phil Choke, Girardi was just asking to lose the game today. Why would he bring coke into that situation, unless he had already conceeded the game over to Tampa. The bullpen is a mess.

M.S.A.S.P. said...

Mike Mussina?

Al Leiter's Bullpen Catcher said...

Yes youre right. Its Mike Mussina. Was it the cleats that gave it away?